Fentanyl lozenges / Fentanyl transmucosal lozenges
What is Fentanyl lozenges available as?
- Lozenges come on sticks and are sometimes called lollipops.
- They come in doses of 200 micrograms, 400 micrograms, 600 micrograms and 800 micrograms, 1.2 mg and 1.6 mg; each lozenge contains 2 grams of glucose.
When should I give Fentanyl
- Lozenges are usually used to treat ‘breakthrough’ pain in children who are already taking morphine or other strong medicines. They provide extra pain relief when it is needed. This may be during a short medical or surgical procedure, or because your child’s usual medicine is not providing enough pain relief.
- Your child should have only one lozenge for any one episode of breakthrough pain. If this does not seem enough, contact your doctor for advice.
- If the lozenge is being used to provide pain relief for a medical or surgical procedure; the person doing the procedure will say when your child should start using the lozenge.